Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Well, I decided to try out the color challenge for the first time. Good Grief! who would have thought that it would be so difficult to constrain myself. When you're required to fit into a mold, its amazing how the brain will come up with anything but. After two hours of tinkering ( I was also watching a movie which may not have helped) I decided on this layout. My Stew Pot Pals came in really handy for this challenge. My turnip screamed purple and green. I also used Itty Bitty Background for the olive, and the print pattern from Looks Like Spring. The DP is Celery from the Pallet of Prints ( I love those pads). The turnip was colored using a variety of re-inkers and markers. When coloring in an image with water color, the next important thing to remember is to color from lightest to darkest. Thus assuring that you are not going to end up with to much darkness ( its easy to add color, harder to take it away). If you do end up with an error in watercolor, it is not the end of your piece. Simply add a blob of water and soak up the color with a paper towel. The ribbon is of course Stampin'Up. I honestly think that I have not seen a better quality of Grosgrain. Finally, I don't know if you can see it, but I added Lime Stickles and Sakura Stardust Pen to the leaves to add a touch of bling.
My second card is one of those mini tri-fold cards that I have been promising myself that I would make for a dog's age. The stamp used is Lockhart, the watercolor paper is Arturo Soft-White. The image was colored in with markers, water colored and then I went over the blue portions with a clear Glaze Pen. The ribbon is May Art from a swap with Texas Jodie Lynn. The paper is a bazill and the DP is unknown. I have a tendency to pick up random pieces of DP paper whenever it catches my eye. Finally, although you can't see it, the inside has a white mat for the message, and a small apple stamped and colored in the inside.
Well I hope you have enjoyed my posting for today. If I have enough interest, I may decide to post a tutorial on how I water color with markers, but for now I have a full plate.

2 comments:

Andrea Walford said...

Your turnip is so cute! You do such a gorgeous watercoloring job. I have bookmarked your site as one of my favourites and have been visiting it everyday since you started blogging. Keep up the good work!

Libby Hickson said...

Your cards are absolutely gorgeous - on all of your posts, not just this one! I just discovered your blog via SCS, I'll definitely be back - linked you to mine so I remember to check often! :-)