Monday, January 28, 2008

Magnolia: down memory lane


I'll be the first to admit that this is not a standard style of card. But there really is a method, or at least reason to the madness. If you would rather not go through the whole spiel behind this card then feel free to skip down to the recipe. Oh ya, lol and I haven't fallen of the face of the earth, but was taking a little break to spend time with hubby and family. Ok , to the card. I was trying to challenge myself to do something different. I get into funks where I use all stamps from a same company or other such things. So the first part of my personal challenge was to mix to totally unrelated styles of stamps. The second part was to base it on a memory or feeling. For those of you who don't know I am half Hungarian and half Mexican. This card is based on a memory from Hungary. When I was young and visiting family there, I remember a day when it came time to make apricot jam. I remember my aunts living room filled with boxes and boxes of apricots. There were newspapers lying under for protection from juices. There was a huge bubbling black pot out in the yard. And we spent lots of time pitting those apricots and stirring that pot for my Grandmas delicious jam. To this day when you eat it, its like sunshine in a bottle. The Old world feel and the look is still strong in my mind. This card was supposed to be an expression of that memory. I did not have an apricot stamp so settled for a bowl of cherries, of which there are many in Hungary. The DP is reminiscent of the faded wallpaper, the little girl with her basket ready to pick reminds me of me ( although more pitting then picking). Touches of ribbon and flowers complete the feeling of the outside rich with blooms. Last the piece of Newspaper DP to remind me of the papers that you sit the boxes on top of . If this card is to weird then I don't mind you saying so. For me it was a trip down memory lane.
recipe:
stamps: Magnolia, Lockhart cherries, Like it a Latte swirl
Paper: Daisy D's Gazette DP, Cosmo Cricket DP, My Mind's Eye DP, Chocolate, Cranberry Crisp, Marigold, Fabriano Artistico Hot Press WP, Whisper White.
Ink: Stewart Superior Burnt Umber, Ranger Distress Ink in Vintage, Scattered Straw, Mahogany.
Other: Prismacolor and Faber and Castel color pencils, reinkers, May Art ribbon, Prima Flowers, rhinestone brads, Twinkling H2O's, nestability circle and scallop circle, Copic marker and airbrush, stickles.
The girl was stamped on watercolor paper and colored in with reinkers, stickles were added to her wings. She was cut and set aside. Cherries were stamped, colored with color pencil, OMS and Twinkling H2O's, image was then cut with nestability die, masked with same die and airbrushed after masking image. The rest is self explanatory. Thanks for joining me on my trip down memory lane.
Hugs
Sophie

23 comments:

Alhambra Club said...

This card is so pretty, love your papers and colors. Glad to see you have a Magnolia link on your blog, will be back tomorrow when I have more time to check it out and shop

Donna Baker said...

your story is as special (if not more) than your card that captured the memory. thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card and beautiful memory. Thanks for sharing them.

Michele Kovack said...

What a great memory, thanks for sharing with all of us! Your card is fantastic!!! I love all your speical touches!

Heike's Creativeplace said...

This Card is so lovely, i like your works :-)))

Anonymous said...

I love this card and all your cards! Very nice colors :)

Rose Ann said...

Thank your for sharing your beautiful memory! Your card is very gorgeous, by the way!!

Nancy said...

Is this a great card. I am thrilled, sooooo beautiful. The colors and everything ...*loveit* :o)

Nancy said...

Thank you for your comments on my blog!!! :o)

My Paper World said...

Your card is so cute, I think that your little story is lovely! xx

Marlou McAlees said...

wow!!! Sophia!!! what a great story and how you worked it into this beautiful card, a stunning creation :) x

Marlou McAlees said...

wow!!! Sophia!!! what a great story and how you worked it into this beautiful card, a stunning creation :) x

Laura said...

I thought it was wonderful to read about your thoughts behind the card. I have always wanted to make jam... your memory sounded so wonderful! and I think that your card looks beautiful!

Thank you also for the wonderful comments you have left in my blog. you always make me so happy with those! :)

hey, how come you can't put Filur cards in the blog anymore? Are you only allowed to use the DT stamps now? Don't forget to tell me if you put some up in SCS, so i can take a look.. or maybe you can start another blog for other stamps that you use :). i think that quite a few Magnolia stampers have a blog just for their Magnolia cards.

Katharina Frei said...

What an extraordinary creation Sophia! I fell in love at once. A real work of art!

Annie said...

Your card is beautiful and I love the story behind it. Memories should be treasured and I hope you keep your card to remind you.

Claudia Rosa ~ Pretty Pressings said...

oh my sophia..
what a work of art. i love it. iam a big fan of lockhart stamps too. wonderful how you combined the two stamps together.

Anonymous said...

I think this card is just gorgeous. I love the way you combined all the different elements.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty.

Lisa's Blessed A Latte said...

Wow...I so love this...As always your work is terrific!!!Thanks also for the very sweet post on my blog...There was a time when it was real tough, as they get older and can do more for theirselves it gets allot easier..Although we still have our moments of chaos...

Jean McKenzie said...

Oh Sophie, I can just imagine the work that went into this card!! Just soo beautiful!! I come and look and admire each of your cards for so long - and when I grow up, I want to be able to shade like you!!!!!

Hugs, Jean

Jean McKenzie said...

Oh Sophie, I can just imagine the work that went into this card!! Just soo beautiful!! I come and look and admire each of your cards for so long - and when I grow up, I want to be able to shade like you!!!!!

Hugs, Jean

Ila said...

This card is definetly made from the heart and it shows...it is Beautiful!!..everything about it is Gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing the wonderful memories that go with it.

Anonymous said...

This card isn't wierd at all! It's fabulous and beautiful, and as I scrolled down through your recent posts this is the one that jumped out at me. I think part of the reason it turned out so great is because of all the genuine heart you put into it. I loved reading your story, too. I can see my mom's kitchen looking pretty much the same, but it could be any kind of fruit. The most vivid memory is of the making of blackberry jelly. After the berries were cooked down a little she'd hang cheesecloth bags full of berries out on the clothesline in the hot Missouri sun. The juice would drip into pots, leaving the seeds behind. A little squeeze now and then would help it along. Gosh, thanks for making me think of this!